View Single Post
Old 23-02-2021, 08:41 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Rocky,
Thanks for your kind comment , appreciate it. I still call myself a beginner after 3 years or so as I’m still learning this amazing hobby and only jumped across to cooled OSC August / September last year.
Your images are fine for your first attempt , you just need more data next time
Can’t help you with your wonky stars as I use Startools in processing
As long as your subs are good ( nice round stars ) that’s the main hurdle

Any reason why your using Gain 200 on the 071MC ? If you look at the camera specs the full well is 48,600e at Gain 0 ( At Gain 200 your only reaching 5000e well depth which means your not pushing the camera anywhere near its max dynamic range which is 14 stops , your only reaching 11 stops ) At higher gains the camera does exhibit increased Read Noise but it’s still quite low
In regard to camera cooling there’s not much more improvement in dark current from -5C to -15C , so your setting of -10C is fine
Maybe next time your out set your Gain to 90 ( unity ) or even Gain 50 to use more of the cameras dynamic range especially pushing 3 to 5 minute subs. Don’t be reluctant to push full well at Gain 0 , the camera may surprise you
With the ZWO Duoband , like with all Narrowband filters the more data you capture the more benefit you get out of your filter
Try and dither all your subs and take darks which I’m sure your totally aware
As a rule of thumb I try and capture a minimum of 2 hours on an object with the filter
Well done !
Good luck the next time your out