View Single Post
Old 19-02-2021, 03:52 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi all, I think it is important to try before you buy if you can with the 100° eyepieces: they are not for everyone!
I know this may be heresy to some, but personally I prefer a smaller apparent field; I am not that keen on having to turn my head to see the edge of the fov, which I find I have to do in most 100° eyepieces. In fact I once had a 13mm Ethos, which is a great eyepiece; but I sold it because I preferred my 13mmT6 Nagler, both in terms of the ease of the view and the size of the beast!
I have the ES 20mm, and again it is a great eyepiece, but I find that I rarely use it. It is massive, and I find I prefer the view through my 18mm Radian (which actually has an identical tfov to the 13mm Nagler!).
Others may disagree, but when I ran the 20mm ES against a 21mm Ethos in a variety of scopes (f5 dob, f4.5 dob with flattener, f8 and f6.3 refractor and f10 SCT) I could see very little difference. The Ethos was just a fraction sharper at the very edge of the field, but I couldn't see that without turning my head anyway... Both seemed equally bright and the contrast was similar.
I only paid 1/3 of the price of the Ethos for the ES (it was on a special some time back), so I see it as great value for money if you want to get into ultra wide-field viewing.

- Dean