View Single Post
Old 21-02-2010, 02:20 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Hi all! Hope I'm posting in the right thread here.

Another beginner in Astronomy here. Looking forward to buying my first scope...

I am sure that I want a dobsonian scope, however what I'm not too sure about is brand - mainly I'm trying to decide between a (12") GSO and a SkyWatcher. Is anyone able to say that one brand would be much better over the other? I am hoping to get a collapsible one, just so that I have something relatively portable. I know that I have seen SkyWatcher collapsible dobsonians, but I'm not sure I've seen GSO ones (GSO has actually been reccommended to me before).

Any help appreciated!

smurf

Well, Both the GSO and Skywatcher dobs are pretty good. Optically, they are about the same. They have the same light grasp, assuming its a 12" skywatcher your looking at too. The GSO is solid tube, so it might require some man handling to mount the tube on the base. The skywatcher folds up like an accordian. So portability points goes to the skywatcher. If you get a skywatcher, you might want to buy a light baffle to cover the huge abses of where a solid tube would have covered.
However, they are both excellent value for money. No one here can say that you will go wrong with either.
And btw a 12" is a monster first scope. Thats the size scope Ill be upgrading to let alone starting with haha