View Single Post
Old 19-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Paul Haese

The Monster in the Distance

This image is of NGC1316, the monster radio galaxy located in Fornax. Also known as Fornax A because of it radio source. It is classified as a giant elliptical galaxy which has clearly consumed other smaller galaxies over the eons. There are numerous shells of dust, gas and stars which trace the mergers. NGC1317 which is the smaller face on galaxy is believed to have had a recent interaction with NGC1316. It is a face on barred spiral with a very active core region. Off the right of the image is the spiral galaxy of NGC1310 which appears to show the classic design and a rather large halo surrounding it. Finally, down the bottom of the image is PGC12706 a odd looking galaxy which is probably classified as irregular. It also has a very large halo surrounding it.

Unfortunately, I have almost run out of time on this object for this year. I had planned on collecting a vast sum of data but cloud, smoke and timing were against me this year. I have imaged this galaxy before several times with two different telescopes, but I think I prefer this field of view.

The image contains 24 hours of integration with 3 hours in each colour collected and 15 hours in luminance.

I have provided a smaller annotated image for people to identify the background galaxy, but of course there are many other smaller unidentified galaxies in the far background.

Click here for the larger resolution image.

I hope you enjoy the views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC1316_LRGB_905_180_180_180_A_Annotated.jpg)
111.4 KB198 views