View Single Post
Old 24-07-2019, 01:09 AM
Xeteth (David)

Astrophotography First Kit

Hiya IIS - first time poster here!

Over the past few months I have become borderline obsessed with the idea of doing deep sky astrophotography and as such have spent countless hours browsing the net for advice and information about starting off. I've also attended an open evening to get some advice and ideas about which gear to get.

I've narrowed it down to a few bits of equipment and thought I'd get some last minute advice before I pull the trigger and buy.

For the mount I am looking at the AZEQ6 GT or EQ6-R Pro. They seem fairly similar except the AZEQ6 has has Alt-Az which I can't see myself needing and therefore would be a waste? I'm happy to spend the extra few hundred if it's worth it, but I'm unsure if it is or not?
Note: I did look at the NEQ6 but after much research I want to go with a belt-driven mount.

For the scope - I've always loved the idea of a refractor and I am currently looking at the Explore Scientific ED102-FCD100 CF. It looks to be a super compact and light-weight scope with great optics, the only question is whether I should go with the ED80 instead? I understand the 80 will be more forgiving for tracking, but I plan on getting a guide scope/cam ASAP so I think I'll be okay with the 102.

I'll be starting off with a simple DSLR whilst I learn the ropes, but assuming I'm enjoying it as much as I think I will it probably won't be long before I upgrade that as well.

Is there any advice anyone might be able to give with regards to these choices?

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!