View Single Post
Old 17-07-2018, 12:17 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Peter,

That's not too cold. Coastal Norway, Kvaloya, the overnight temps ranged from -12C to -16C. I was thinking inland north Finland, you'd be working much colder, around -15 to -30C.

We get a similar temperature range to your location here around Canberra and in the Snowy mountains. Your camera spec is about 300 frames for your battery. I don't do anything special when shooting in winter. Li Ion rechargeable batteries are ok at those temps providing you start off shooting with a pocket warmed battery. The battery will keep itself warm once it's running the camera.

I had several batteries but didn't need them. My over-heated cabin 30C was 5m away. I set up my gear inside, warm camera, rechargeable battery. I kept my extra batteries in the room. The night of the big aurora storm, I took 210 images over 4-5 hrs on one battery with my Pentax K5. Probably could have shot a lot more. That's not a big ask. In normal temperatures, that K5 shoots about 600 images on one battery if I turn off preview, AF, IS. I see you've locked in new moon. In Autumn on the Arctic, circle, first quarter is almost as dark as new moon. On Nov 15, first quarter moon sets 2.5 hrs after astronomical twilight followed by another 7-8 hrs of darkness, so if the weather doesn't cooperate and you need to stay, your ok for dark sky until Nov 15.

Joe