View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

I have been asked by a couple of people about my custom made cases, so I thought I would put the information on here.

The Celestron 8" SCT all aluminium case has recessed lockable butterfly locks, reinforced edges, corners and recessed handles (in front and on both ends). This case also has thick internal foam walls. The triangular high density machined foam insert, that shows the Televue star diagonal is, also machined out underneath to take the round Losmandy tube counterweights. These weights cannot move within the case. The cost of this case, which includes the machined inserts was $650. This may seem expensive but was considerable cheaper than another manufacturer who only used wood for the panels. This telescope never came with a case and, from experience, I have found most original manufacturer cases to be poorly made anyway.

The Orion 80ED case is manufactured to the same specifications as the case above. The cost of this case, which includes machined inserts was $350. Please note that this case was subsequently modified, by the same manufacturer, to fit the telescope with the JMI Event Horizon focuser, which was purchased after the case was originally made. Modifications are easily accommodated with changing accessories and is quite cheap to do.

The accessory/eyepiece case is made up of two layers of machined high density foam. The top layer has a flat thick vinyl sheet glued to the base with two pull out tabs securely attached. The case was designed to accommodate the eyepieces without caps, as I didn't want to have to mess about with caps in the dark, particularly since, when closed, this case is waterproof and dust proof anyway. The bottom layer holds tools and accessories that are not often used. The three small cases shown in the bottom layer are small Pelican cases for holding small items (such as screws), cleaning clothes and Hex keys etc. This case cost $250 which included the cost of the case and the machined high density foam inserts. I gave all the items to the manufacturer and he designed how it would all fit into one case. I left all the design work to the manufacturer for all the cases.

Finally, the binocular case cost $150 which included the cost of the case and the machined high density foam. This was about the same price as a Fujinon leather case.

All these road cases were manufactured by Image Alloy Cases Pty Ltd, 44 Pilbara Street, Welshpool WA 6106. Phone number is 92589187 and the contact is Jez Moore. This manufacturer is the cheapest in Perth.

These cases are very strong and durable. I am secure in the knowledge that my equipment is well protected during transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Case 1.jpg)
51.3 KB94 views
Click for full-size image (Case 2.jpg)
49.4 KB130 views
Click for full-size image (Case 3.JPG)
195.9 KB115 views
Click for full-size image (Case 4.jpg)
48.9 KB111 views
Click for full-size image (Case 5.JPG)
192.4 KB112 views
Click for full-size image (Case 6.JPG)
143.5 KB123 views
Click for full-size image (Case 7.JPG)
144.0 KB125 views
Click for full-size image (Case 8.JPG)
141.7 KB126 views

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 10-11-2012 at 04:58 PM.