View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 01:27 PM
ninja2 (Chris)
Chris

I ran Andrew's PEC editor and it tested all existing ports at all baud, but it stilll would not connect to the scope.

I have quite a lot of electronics stuff here, but none of it's RS232 any more! So can't see a way to try Damiens idea, which would be much better than my remaining options:
- fault in Jaycar RS232 cable
- fault in Meade serial cable
- fault in the scope

I have a qestion about powering on and connecting, because I'm wondering if I could have damaged any of the above by getting the sequence wrong.

Normally I would turn the scope on first. (I've been running it indoors powered from mains through a adapter with 12V output. The scope also has full set [9V] of AA batteries installed).

Next I would connect the Jaycar USB-RS232 cable to computer only to start with, and check it is recognised by Device Manager. Then I connect the Meade cable between the Jaycar cable and the scope.

Then I would run the app on the computer. Keep in mind that I did achieve connection using Autostart suite when I first tried this, a few weeks ago.

Powering down would normally be just the reverse sequence.

However, a week or so ago I powered the scope off before disconnecting the cable. I remember at the time the power LED on the scope was still glowing , at maybe 50% dimmed. I didn't like this, and quickly powered the scope off. This may have been the moment when damage was done.

Questions:

1) Should the sequence matter?

2) does the Meade RS232 serial cable have any smarts in it, or is it just wires?

3) Is damage to the serial port a common ccurrence for these scopes?

I'm prepared to buy a replacement jaycar cable if need be (only $30 !), but it would be v.annoying if that makes no diff

TIA

PS: a totally different issue: does anyone else find they have to re-edit their freshly authored posts on this IIS forum, to remove spurious excess line feeds auto-inserted by the editor while you're not looking !?? (like the extra line, not inserted by me, just above this paragraph)