View Single Post
Old 22-06-2014, 03:11 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Of course....it depends....

What do you want to image (planets/moon/dso/galaxies?) What camera are you thinking of using (DSLR or CCD)...matching the image scale is what counts here.

Personally not keen on the Newt design for imaging - due to the size and weight of the OTA, limited backfocus, camera weight being off the centreline, need for coma correctors that can be quite expensive...still they are fast which should make guiding easier all else being equal when compared with the alternate Cassegrain design.

If you go for a cassegrain type then take a look at the GSO RCs they are good value (I am happy with my 10" CF) and they have been around long enough to be popping up on here 2nd hand for about $600 or so for the 8" model, that is a bargain if you are after decent fl, even new these are good value. Often recommended is the Vixen VC200L, I had one and it was OK but has several irritations that finally made me sell it. The focuser was R&P - and thus it was very hard to make the small adjustments you need for AP work, the spider is industrial in its strength (good for holding collimation - bad as the diffraction pattern makes bright stars blocky), the optics are complex and limit you (eg you cannot use an OAG and FR with this scope - and you will need to use the FR if you intend to use a DSLR)...not many 3rd party options.

Just my 2c of course....have fun choosing!