View Single Post
Old 18-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Jeffkop (Jeff)
Star-Fishing

Hi H

I had the same dilemma last October. Was set on buying the Fingerlakes equivalent ML8300 I think. I think that 8300 sensor is a winner. THEN Jase thru a spanner in my works and posted his STL11000 in the classifieds ... I sat around resisting and thinking up all the reasons not to buy it but in the end I went with it as the package represented pretty good value to me.

I know none of this helps you but I think from all reports the ST8300 is looking like a reasonable product. If I went that way I would go the way that Alex went and couple it to a Fingerlakes CFW 2-7 not bother to get those odd sized filters and CFW from SBIG ... seems that a set of 2" filters would be more usable down the track in future equipment changes.

Im also pretty sure that the new ST range offers significant advances in camera technology too ... mind you in saying that I think the STL has a reasonable reputation too ... Value wise I guess the new price of $7900 for an STL plus about another say 900 bux for filters and GST I dont know, not much change out of 8K I would imagine is probably pretty good for what you get. On the other hand the ST8300 and a CFW2-7 and adapters and filters is going to be around the $5500 - $6000 mark ... and also the extra complication of a guide scope if you dont already have one.

Hmmmm its a real hard one this isnt it. Guess you have to look at what you get for the extra 2K with the STL ... Dont know mate, but with all the great results Ive seen here with the ST8300 I think if I can get of the fence I would be seriously tempted by evaluating what the extra 2K
for the STL represents ... If you dont already have a guidescope and camera then youve to add i dont know maybe another 700bux min to the ST8300 path.

So I guess if it was ne if I had already a guidescope and camera then I would go the ST8300 direction ... if not then I would take advantage of the special STL price and grab it.

I dont vouch for the soundness of this advice nor its accuracy money wise ... just thinking out loud and typing it.

Whichever way ... you'll br happy Ide say