View Single Post
Old 20-02-2008, 02:00 PM
tornado33

Interesting comparison, one that would be expected with the U47 chip's high QE here page 4.

I still think if I was Apogee or SBIG I'd approach Canon with a view of ordering monochrome CMOS sensors.

This is interesting. Now change the unmodded to modded, the red peak would go up to about 40%, and the others would gain a few % as well. It would then be on par with the SBIG model, but at a fraction of the price.

I really do think that if SBIG, FLI, APOGEE and others arent prepared to investigate the use of the rapidly maturing CMOS technology, they risk loosing more and more of the astro imaging market to DSLR's. I will bet money the first manufacturer to start using large frame cooled 14 to 16 bit CMOS monochrome chips will cornet the astro imager market.

My Q guider has a QE or around 50% (mono CMOS chip 1280 x 1024), but is only 10 bit and not cooled. if it was 16 bit and cooled, it would make a lovely entry level dedicated astro imager. As it is it cost me $300. The currect chip cannot become 16 bit as it has an on chip 10 bit ADC, but if a 16 bit model of the same chip was available, all one would need to add is the peltier cooler and control circuitry. About a thousand dollars would pull it up I think. Add a 2nd 10 bit chip for autoguiding and a fully self guided 1280 x 1024 astro camera with 50% QE would be ours for the buying. Sadly none exists.