View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNebula View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Mmmm, it seems I have a bit more reading and digging to do. Still not too sure, the 70D is really awesome but if I still need to get a mount/tripod and a lense I'm in trouble.

Seems you can pick up a 1100D in good nick for about $350/400.

Which lense(s) would be a good start if I pick up a body only? Is is a good idea to get a 450D but splurge on the lense maybe?

Could I not use my Alt Az Nexstar mount with an adaptor as a starting point?
It's important to decide what targets you're most interested in before buying, as different cameras have different sensor performance in the dark, and you need to factor in optical quality of lenses if you intend to do any wide field shots with them.

You could get a piggy back adaptor for your Nexstar if you're going for a wide (short focal length) lens but you'll still be limited in exposure length. It depends on the focal length of the lens of course, but I've taken 20 second exposures while piggy backing for entertainment value. To use the telescope as the lens you're going to need to use an equatorial mount, as the 8SE has a focal length of over 2000mm, and your exposures would be very short before star trails are apparent.