View Single Post
Old 24-02-2013, 10:44 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Bang per buck I find the s/h Canon 450D/ 1000D is very good.
You can go for the basic mod (enhanced red response) or the FULL full spectrum mod (both internal filters removed)
Just my 2c
Thanks for that. I'll look up their specs. 1100D gets mentioned as an ideal camera at JTW Astronomy. Their highly modified model (in a new body and with deep cooling) is 2300 Euros so its up against KAF8300 CCD cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
My Astro 40D from Central DS still performs well.. cooled and spectrum modified. I personally wouldn't get a spectrum enhanced camera without cooling.. makes it a much more powerful camera.

It will take them awhile to develop the mod (4-7 months apparently), but a cooled and spectrum enhanced 6D would be a seriously nice camera at a not too scary price.

Right not you could buy a second-hand 5D Mark II and get it modded for a total under $3000. Not bad for a full frame sensor. At the other end of the scale, a modded 1100D would be a bargain and likely perform better than my Astro 40D.

http://www.centralds.net/cam/?page_id=5308

Phil
Thanks Phil. I have a 40D and I also have a Baader replacement filter I could put in it myself. I have already modded 3 DSLRs successfully before.

How much extra detail/colour does a modded camera get in a widefield type shot? I am looking to use one for widefield not really for deep space.

I am wondering how a modded 1100D would perform against a modded mirrorless like a Sony Nex 5r/6 or a Fuji XE1 (16.3mp Sony Exmor sensors). DSLRs are a little heavy and the noise performance of the Canon EOS sensors generally speaking is behind the Sony Exmor CMOS sensors. My XE1 is quite clean at ISO6400 close in performance to my Nikon D800E.

6D, 5D3, D800, D600, Sony Nex 5r and 6, Fuji XE1 would be my shortlist to start with. I am leaning towards the Nex 6 or XE1. The Nex 6 has apps like an iphone you can download and install (it has wifi). One is a time lapse app like the Nikon D600 and D800 (and perhaps other Nikon models). I like that. Also it can be controlled by an iphone like the 6D.
It would be good to see an astro shootout between Nikon D600 and Canon 6D. Both full frame. Both low noise. Both should make easy ISO6400 30 second clean widefield shots in winter. Nikon has the nice time lapse function but it does not do it in RAW as it outputs a .mov file. It does have a built in intervalometer for shooting RAW and then you have to put together the time lapse. Most of the other features are probably fairly irrelevant for nightscapes.

Greg.