View Single Post
Old 31-07-2009, 07:57 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
Great report, 'specially after reading about your frustration at the lack of opportunity, i will admit to have never seen such far and distant galaxies, i know to some people its the hunt, and the achievment of finding them "bareback" i would just rather find them with an Argo !!

so yeah, a good report, well written and with some wit !!

If I could afford an Argo, trust me, I get one faster than the Melbourne clouds could roll in For me, I actually do enjoy the 'starhop' to these objects, and it's an invaluable skill to have when all else fails! Finding NGC 7012 proved difficult due to a lack of referance stars, but after nearly half an hour of finding my bearings it turns out I was in the right place all along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I love reading a good observing report like this! And I can totally relate to the joy of an early morning pee, drink and munch on something naughty before "getting back out there"...
Thanks for taking us all along for the ride too PGC!
There's nothing like sitting under the stars with a nice hot chocolate! It would be even nicer if it was possible to enjoy hot choc under the stars more than once during each orbit around the galaxy, but alas I live in Melbourne....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lismore Bloke View Post
Thanks for those couple of helpful hints on observing the faint fuzzies. I am guilty of rushing through observations, not allowing eyesight to become sensitised, particularly when the objects being observed are faint. The old fashioned photographer's black hood is a good idea - keeping out stray light.

I'm surprised that no-one has written a short article on observing at the edge of visibility.
I've negleted using the hood until now, but it really helps and is good for avoiding eyestrain as you don't have to keep the other eye slammed shut.