View Single Post
Old 25-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Louwai (Bryan)
SDM Convert

Hi there Kat, You seem to have a few different requirements there..... I'll throw my comments in. Some may not be quite right but I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct info.

1) The scope you have linked to is ok. It is GO-TO & it is a tracking scope.
Although I've never seen one in front of me, nor used one, it seems to be a great little scope & easy to use once set up.

2) A down side is it's size. It's only a 5" diameter scope. You will be able to clearly view the Moon & the larger planets, as well as some close objects such as Orion etc, but distant galaxies will be hard to see with this size scope.

3) It looks like the link you gave is the the US site & the price shown is US$. In Australia you can expect to pay somewhere around AU$1400 for this unit. I see a 2nd hand one for sale in Melb for AU$700 on Astrobuy&sell.

4) You noted photography in the future. I'm not into photography myself so can't really comment. Not sure they are not used or not. I haven't seen any of this type of scope used for photos....

Even though you don't like the look, I'd recomend a Dob. For about the same price ($1400 odd) you can get an off-the-shelf GO-TO Dob.

Hope this helps.