View Single Post
Old 25-10-2010, 07:46 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

yes both of these track for you..they do not have much aperture..i have an etx90 as my travel/camping scope..if i am going somewhere if fits easily.
The etx125 is a much better astro scope - but it is still smallish in terms of todays big mirrors. If you want easy its a pretty decent choice
The $AUS price is pretty high - better to buy secondhand or from the US if you have the nerve for it (no warranty, postage hassles, ?customs duty)

Like you i'm not a fan of dobsonian telescopes - they give great views if well collimated but are big & cumbersome.

The other scope you might consider is the celestron 4se - its between these 2 in size & is a similar unit. available form www.andrewscom.com.au - telescope section
If you want to go bigger aperture to see a lot more objects - bintel (melb store) have a 8" compact dobsonian with GOTO - it will find objects for you for $1100 -its still big though

Andrews.com in the skywatcher section have a 5" mak (like etx125) for 899 with GOTO, another option to consider

With this stuff buying secondhand will save some dollars - have you tried any scopes..it would be good to atleast see some in the flesh before buying