View Single Post
Old 18-04-2017, 09:18 AM
kens (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manav View Post
I finally got some time to test out PHD 2 drift alignment function again and I'm a bit confused!

Basically, the Altitude adjustment slew angles according to PHD2 drift align tool don't make sense. I'll let the photos explain what I'm trying to say:

Pic 1. Mount pointing roughly south (Good)

Pic 2. PHD2 drift align tool connected via ASCOM Gemini Telescope tells mount to slew to meridian and the equator i.e. meridian offset 90 and DEC 90. This looks good too and I can make the necessary Azimuth adjustments
The celestial equator s actually declination 0, not 90
Quote:

Pic 3 This is where I'm confused! When the mount asks to slew to meridian offset 37 and DEC 18 for the Altitude adjustment. The mount slews to high angle ~60 Degrees and is facing towards north east?? Bad
I suspect it is slewing to Dec 18 North. You probably want Dec 18 South which would be represented as Dec -18
Quote:
My understanding was that the altitude adjustment is made with scope facing east and 30 degrees above horizon as shown in Pic 4. Am I wrong? or is there an issue with PHD2?

Please Help.
Stay as low to the horizon as you can. 20 degrees is the usual rule of thumb but 30 is ok. Its unlikely you'll ever image that low anyway. Just be aware that some of the drift will include an azimuth error component whcih could either add or subract overall.