View Single Post
Old 19-04-2012, 08:24 PM
andyc (Andy)

If you go down the line of adding a new eyepiece, I'd probably just go for one eyepiece for now (32mm would give you ~30x, a nice low magnification for wide field viewing and less 'shake' too), then save the dollars up for a bigger scope. You should see Saturn's rings clearly in all your eyepieces, so I'd maybe make sure you're pointed at the right object (not meaning to be condescending or anything, but I know from experience it's easy to miss with a red dot finder!). Right now, there's a star that's similar to Saturn in brightness not far away in the sky - the star Spica in Virgo, and above Saturn in the early evening. It's colour is white or bluish white, while Saturn is about the yellowest object in the sky. So if the blob/star you think is Saturn is not yellow, you may not be pointing at it! Saturn should not appear 'stellar' (ie a single point) in any of your eyepieces. Even in the low power eyepiece I suggested it would appear as a tiny oval with the rings just discernible, and in your 12.5mm eyepiece they should be quite clear. If the blob you're looking at is yellow, then I wonder if something's up with the optics of your scope (poorly collimated, something else)?