View Single Post
Old 13-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Timmo (Tim)

Red face Newbie viewing planets

Hi everyone! I recently got a Starview 150EQ for Father's Day (the one from Australian Geo - 6").

I'm brand new to this and after reading can see there are better options out there (keep reading about 8" dobs) but determined to use this as something to get used to how this stuff works. Plus the kids wouldn't be too happy if I traded it up so soon!!!

So, I've only had a few goes since the weather here in Canberra is a bit crap at the moment but I'm trying to look at Saturn and all I see is a bright white circle. I've tried both the 20mm and 10mm eye pieces but no difference, slowly zooming all the way from one extreme to the other to focus.

Looking at the moon is great with both eye pieces, super clear but surely I should see Saturn and its rings (well, a band around it)?

I haven't had a chance to do some proper testing but thought I'd see if there is something really obvious that I'm missing here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any cool things to suggest I try find with this scope please send them on. I'm hoping to practice with this for a while and then upgrade to something that start seeing some cool deep space things.

Timmo