View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 09:03 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I agree with your observations on dust colour too. There is the darker redder dusty regions and then there is the bluer stuff like various ghost nebulas and the cirrus stuff in both of the images you've posted.

I'm attaching another random part of the sky that shows the same thing. It doesn't contain the same dusty regions like in the LDN catalog but more like the cirrus stuff and it is EVERYWHERE in the images I'm currently working on. It is in every single patch of sky within 20º of the Milky Way in every direction.
Yes that bit you have posted was the subject of my last image actually, Sh2-1/Vdb99 is a beautiful area of Scorpio. I think it contains much more and finer (?) dust (or at least dust of the right micron size) to better scatter the blue wavelengths, while some of the stuff around Barnards galaxy and particularly Cen A, is higher above the galactic plain and much more tenuous and thus fainter. There is traces of emission from the mixed in Ha though, hence the slight reddening and explains the more recently coined term Integrated Flux Nebula or IFN, rather than Galactic Cirrus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Really nice fov. I've never seen that galaxy in context in a wider field. That's a very cool framing.
Thanks Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
A lovely counterpoint between the various elements of the image Mike. With the cirrus dust, hot blue stars, scattering of red giants across the image, ghostly dust formations and a very eclectic galaxy to boot. Strange also that a galaxy would present much in the way of OIII. I'm not surprised that additional time was required for the luminance sufficient to do justice to the waves of dust.
Thanks for the considered feedback Rod In regards to the OIII, a few galaxies will show OIII but rarely do imagers bother collecting it, apart from Barnards Galaxy, NGC 300 is a good example as, of course, is the LMC, M33 also springs to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Awesome framing and nice dust processing. Classic strongman image.
Thanks Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Gobsmacking image Mike. That field of view is HUGE.
Glad you enjoyed the view Geoff