View Single Post
Old 19-10-2017, 03:15 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Great stuff guys, never before seen on IIS and now twice in under a month

Very interesting to compare our results actually, looking at the more diffuse extensions there is little or no difference in depth but as expected, the superior aperture has snuck just a little deeper on point sources...although, I don't apply decon to my star fields so there are probably some faint stars lurking in the background of my data?..I just hate spots in my background that you can't distinguish form stars. Comparing the detail in some surrounding galaxies I may just have had a little better seeing?.. oooor, we just used different processing approaches..? As you say, you look to have revealed some detail in the leading (left) edge of the main fan shaped tidal tail, which although subtle is indeed very cool. I am thinking from the look of the rest of the image, you used some solid extraction techniques here..? which is also cool, I love heavy extraction to go deep and reveal new things! ...image noise is overrated!

Overall another great use of a great instrument guys and great to see big high end equipment hitting interesting things, rather than the same ol samo

Mike