View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 05:39 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Hi John,

To my limited knowledge, you won't be able to find a new astro camera with this size CCD sensor for 2000 AUD; I will be extremely happy if someone proves me wrong...

The dimensions of a common KAF-8300 sensor are 17.96mm x 13.52mm, which is bit smaller than what you already have, but at F5 you will probably get some vignetting with this CCD anyway when using 1.25 filters and external filter wheel. Anything larger will cause more severe vignetting in combination with 1.25 filter.

Perhaps you could consider a smaller sensor or a second hand camera with 8300 sensor could be a reasonable option?

I am sure more knowledgable and experienced imagers will soon provide you with a thorough answer.

Good luck
yep, thanks, could be looking that way. But that's part of the research journey I guess.

Looks like for the QHY9 mono @ $2,500 AUD means that then have to get 36mm LRGB filters and a new coma corrector due to spacing issues so more like $3200 all up.

A second hand unit could be the way to go, so lets see, as I won't rush into this.