View Single Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Screw Canon? Wow, you sure are insecure. 99.99% of the astrophotographer population are nuts, then? Wake up and smell the coffee, and, perhaps do some reading on the history of DSLR astrophotography.

Canon were the first to bring a DSLR to the market, and, have led innovation in the field all along, bringing new features to each successive line (including being the first to introduce HD video in the 5D Mark II -- you may consider this a gimmic feature, but, consider that it's being used by Hollywood in new movies and TV shows), with Nikon playing catch up.

A simple web search for people's web sites who do astrophotography will reveal to you two things: 1) they use dedicated CCDs; and, 2) if they're using a DSLR, it's Canon. I have not come across a single web page, or user, who is producing world class astrophotography with a Nikon DSLR.

Edit: up until recent times, a Nikon RAW file was not a pure RAW file as it was massaged by a median pass filter before being written to card. The result of this was stars being eaten and softened. I'm quite sure the D40 and D40x were affected by this. You'll also note the colour of nebulae is vastly, vastly different, tending more to the blue/magenta end of the spectrum. I feel Canon renders hydrogen a lot more faithfully.

As for Chris not replying, you did post your thread at 3 AM. I happened to be up at the time so replied. However, I have a feeling he might not reply at all.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotist View Post
Thanks for your help H!

Screw Canon; Nikon makes wonderful cameras! I don't get why so few astrophotographers only use Canon, Nikon is just as good, if not better!

If Omaroo offered his assistance, why isn't he posting anything here (not that he has to but...)?

Clear skies
Bart

Last edited by Octane; 30-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.