View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Amazing new astro camera - a new era?

I was floored the other night, when on Facebook I saw this stunning image of Orion.

It supposedly comprises, I quote, "65 x 1/3 sec (for the center) and 200 x 15 sec (!!)"

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous, gob-smacking. Yes it's using a 14 inch scope, but wow, that's such a sensitive, superb sensor!

What cam?

A $3,000 modded Sony A7s. Full format to boot.

I'm googling every day for further examples of astro images with this thing, there are virtually no astro images other than another small test shot from the lucky chap on FB and dozens of run of the mill milky way shots. One other well known Astro photographer has just taken delivery, can't wait to see his first light and impressions.

I've been planning on just acquiring a Ha filter for my EOS 40D (ordered), but this single image looks like a game-changer to me. A new era of pretty cheap, full format and noise free sensors, no need for mono filters, ultra efficient acquisition of images. Frankly if I could achieve such a single image only once in my lifetime, I would be ecstatic. My god, what would an astro-specific, cooled version do??!!

I hope I'm not the only dude excited by the possibilities!

I'll post any further images I see. If I see ONE more pic that is as impressive, I'm pressing the big red button pronto...

Anyone ordered one? About to after reading this?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
193.5 KB399 views