Thread: Planetary
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2016, 09:44 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenswale View Post
Gentlemen,

Allan, I have sent you an email regarding binoviewers.
Hi Wren,

Just be aware that binoviewers aren't for everyone. Some people love them, some people don't. It's maybe 50/50.

About 8 years ago Scott Mitchell (WavelandScott) very kindly loaned me his binoviewers and several pairs of premium eyepieces for me to trial, with a view to buying a pair for myself. The pair he loaned me were the top of the line Denkmeier model at the time and the eyepieces were all premium pairs, including 14mm and 21mm Denkmeiers. I also had access to pairs of 24mm Panoptics, 13mm Nagler T6's and 8mm Radians, which were the eyepiece pairs that went with the 12" 3RF binocular telescope I was custodian for at the time. I spent hours and hours and hours trying to like those binoviewers; and as hard as I tried to like them I just never at any time preferred the view through the binoviewers over the single eyepiece view, on the moon, planets or anything for that matter. I tried them in my 10", 14" and 18" Newtonians on multiple occasions over many hours and at no time did they ever float my boat. I wanted to like them because I enjoy 2 eye viewing and have over many years spent a lot of time observing with premium binocular style optics including a 12" binocular telescope and a pair of 25 x 150 Fujinon Binoculars. Unfortunately, a binoviewer isn't quite the same and just didn't cut it for me.

I can only suggest you try (like I did) before you run headlong down the binoviewer path. You may well fall in love with them. On the other hand you may not. It's an expensive road not to like them.

Cheers,
John B