View Single Post
Old 13-09-2019, 07:41 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Anyone had experience with both?

The XW10mm seems to get the most praise from my short research.

I am looking at a 3.5 or 5mm. Perhaps a 20mm later.

The Nagler 22mm Type 4 though is a classic eyepiece.

Greg.
I own all of the 1.25" Pentax XW's and 19 different Televue eyepieces including all of the Nagler T4's. I also own the 31mm T5, and several ETHOS, DELOS, Radians and Panoptics.

In focal lengths 10mm and less my preference is for the Pentax XW's. The 3.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm Pentax XW's are exceptional eyepieces and provide excellent flat field views in ALL TELESCOPE TYPES, including Refractors and Newtonians. I prefer the eye guard adjustment over the various eye guard systems used by Televue, although I will say the eye guard system on the DELOS is a monumental improvement over the instadrop system on the Nagler T4's and the Radians.

In focal lengths over 10mm I like the DELOS and the Nagler T4's. Although in a fast Newtonian the Nagler T4's really need a paracorr. If you don't need long eye relief the Nagler T6's are excellent. Above 20mm I like the 26mm and 31mm Nagler T5's and the 27mm and 35mm Televue Panoptics.

If money is no object the 17mm and 12.5mm Nikon NAV HW are currently the best eyepieces money can buy. They have performed exceptionally in every telescope I have used them in. The 12.5mm Doctor is also excellent, but again a lot of money.

Cheers
John B