View Single Post
Old 31-10-2019, 01:46 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Bobby,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
...I have one of those good examples , an early AOS full thickness 10" pyrex F6 , could do with a recoat , it's the scope in my avatar , never gets out of the shed to see any light for years now , someone should rescue it , I'd help with the sale price as it will be a bargain !

Bobby.
Yep, before my 31cm f/5.3, I had an AOS 10" -- mine was about f/6.1-ish and full-thickness. The substrate was unusual -- not the normal clear pyrex but it had a distinctly light greenish tint. I later discovered the glass was the Schott equivalent to Pyrex (a Corning T.M product) called Duran 50. Functionally and chemically identical to "real" pyrex apparently -- just looks a tad different.

About 2,700 of my individual observing notes in my log were made with that 10 f/6.1". The mirror was excellent. Then I added about 800 notes with the 12" f/5.3 before the 18" f/4.9 arrived -- with which I added about 3,000 more observing notes. Since the 25" f/5 I've added about 600 new notes in 14 months. Currently a bit over 7,000 individual observing notes -- nearly 6,000 differnt objects observed.

Still haven't tired of visual observing!

Best,

L.