View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Last night observing conditions where I live were superb. Had the 18” out on the back lawn, and after alignment, I usually check by sending the scope to a bright object. Antares was that first target, and with the 7” mask fitted the companion was exceptionally distinct and well separated in the 9mm Nagler at 259x. I had the feeling the night would be really good.
After some globular chasing, I set the scope on Saturn. Now in all my years of observing, I have never claimed the Enke division. But at 259x, there appeared some detail in the outer sections of the ring system beyond the Cassini division. Putting in a 7mm, power now 334x revealed a fine black band near the edge of the ring system. Enke! The crepe ring was also seen well.
Now for some double stars in Ophiuchus. Lambda is always one of my favourites and sure enough there was a river of darkness between the two close stars at 259x
On to 21 Oph. Never seen this split before, but at 259x I could detect the lesser mag companion close up to the primary. Increasing to 334x and this one was in the bag. (and in the log book) Stelledoppie has this pair at mags 5.8/7.3 0.76”
Eta Oph always been out of reach. I was unaware of the PA at the start of the observation, but saw certain elongation in PA 060/240. Checking the records this star is an even double at 0.5” and PA 232.
All up a great night. My backyard is getting more and more subject to local light pollution, but observing double stars is thankfully not affected yet.
I would welcome and comments from others who may have enjoyed the great conditions last night.
Thanks for the excellent observing report John, I am hoping for some clear skies tomorrow night, we have a dark sky night planned at Bellmount Forest.
I am taking the 18" and a 4"F8...

Might even cut an off-axis mask to try out.....