View Single Post
Old 21-01-2009, 09:44 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Bojan,
Dont use the cold pixel removal, just the hot.
set it at 1pix and 1%
There is probably a limit too, the amount of noise is very intense on the second shot, I'd say that if there is that much noise then the exposure was probably a bit too long to begin with.

I've run stacks of tests, usually stacking 2 frames or 3 and the results using hot pixel cosmetics only is what wins the day.

I wouldn't use it if it blurred the final this much.

Using DDS I have also learned that it is best to NOT add the saturation, leave this for processing in PS and also flatten the curve a bit that DSS automatically generates. Using a sharp curve and the DSS saturation tends to add noise or highlights noise.

attached are samples of recent tests on Thor (yes I know I'm obsessed...) they were 2 frames of slightly too long duration I think 15 min at ISO 800(a fair amount of noise and vignetting etc)
On close inspection (onthe full versions, I couldn't find much if any blurring using just hot pixel cosmetix but the use of both hot AND cold made things a bit. I also allowed the push of noise through the use of DSS saturation (set at 20) for the purposes of the experiment.

Of course, what i normally do is stack lots of frames, i dont use the DSS saturation and I do quite a bit more processing in PS to remove gradient, adjust set black white points, high pass filter some sharpening and saturation amongst the basics.
Anyways,
hope this helps
frank
PS the files: the one that says "no cosme" is stacked as is no use of cosmetics, "cold n h" is the stack using hot and cold pixel removal (both set at 1pix 1%) and of course the one that says "cosmetix" is only using the hot pixel settings at 1pix, 1%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (thor-test-2-frames-cold-n-h.jpg)
196.3 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (thor-test-2-frames-cosmetix.jpg)
192.7 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (thor-test-2-frames-no-cosme.jpg)
196.6 KB54 views