View Single Post
Old 20-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hello from Tinderbox, Tasmania

I've been a member for a couple of months and enjoying the experience, so it is time I introduced myself.

My interest in astronomy started at High School many, many years ago. I ground a 6 inch mirror and constructed my own reflecting telescope at age 15. Unfortunately it was lost in the bad '67 bush fires. University, a career in big cities, a family, sailing and other interests relegated astronomy to the background. I returned to Tasmania and settled at Tinderbox in 1994.

With more time on my hands, a couple of years ago I pointed my Zeiss Diascope 85 T*FL, that I use for terrestrial observing, towards the wonderful dark skies we have here at Tinderbox and my interest in astronomy was rekindled. I am more a visual observer at this stage and have become quite adept at star hopping to find my targets. The Ziess Diascope is a wonderful wide field instrument. I have also been surprised by the detail I have seen with some patient observing. I am now planning my first telescope purchase to broaden and deepen my observing experience.

I am looking forward to learning from and contributing to the Forum.