View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 02:44 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have been through this with my shed at home, roughly 50M from the house. I set up a wifi link to get an intercom going between the house and shed. IMO, Wifi is good for short range browsing on tablets and phones, and fixed assets only if you have no other choice.

Wifi, rubbish! I even used outdoor AP's with directional antenna, the link was patchy and unreliable, I had trouble getting a link of good enough quality to play music from a NAS in the house properly! The IP phone interom setup would loose connection and fail to reconnect.

I tried Ethernet over power extenders, again, rubbish! They would only connect if I used the GPO closest to the meter box in the house and closest to the house in the shed and throughput was poor!

Over the Christmas break we did a trench and had a 50mm comms pipe installed between the house and shed. A fibre link is the final plan but there has been a temporary cat5 link for about four months, th result is a reliable GigE connection and no dropouts! I still plan to get a fibre over there as I prefer the electrical isolation it affords but there is no great urgency now seeing that it works properly. Bluray resolution video, no problem, music, no problem and the IP phone has not fallen off the network since.

Whenever I finally manage to build an observatory out there I will extend the trench and cable that up too.