View Single Post
Old 17-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Star Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Can you explain in what way it beats Astrotortilla (for plate solving)?
Once you buy AA5 (it's not cheap) and d/load it and set it up to your system, you d/load ObsMgr V9.03 from the ObsMgr yahoo user group http://tinyurl.com/muc7yv5 You will also need the G16 folder.

Basically, once you have the scope/mount parameters set up in AA5, ObsMgr takes care of all scripting, GOTO's and plate solving automatically.

First it slews to the first object, take an image, waits, then takes a 60 sec. image to plate solve. If the image is not dead centre on the screen, it will read this and will take another after the program moves your mount so minutely, the next image is placed dead centre, all done automatically.

Wn its done with the first image etc, it moves on the next object and repeats same again, each time correcting your pointing GOTO so by the time you have done say, a dozen objects, the program not only parks the mount but it will wake it up at a preset time the next night and away it goes again, to your next list of objects. Each time plate solving!

So if you're into scripting your scope/mount for a night's work unattended with Plate Solving built in, then get AA5 and ObsMgr.

But if you're just doing casual imaging and not into scripting like I am, then perhaps AstroTortilla may be the one to use.

With AA5 and ObsMng controlling your system, it takes the cake, eats it while plate solving your images while you sleep!

Why not contact John Mallet in the Uk from the user group, as he wrote ObsMrg for AA5. Email him and he will tell you what you need to get going. John will even also talk with you via Skype if you need help setting it all up. John is very approachable and knowledgeable, when it comes to astronomical programming.

I use AA5 and ObsMgr with my EQ8, EQ6 Pro and Titan 50, mounts and soon will have the 6M sq. roll off roof programmed as well, thanks to John's input.

cheers,

Jim

Last edited by Star Hunter; 17-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.