View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
Maybe O'Meara is still shooting the pics...

Hi Ian,

So many of us are getting very irritated at the long wait, and I want to thank you so much for shedding some light. Very glad to know the book will be worth the wait, yaaay!

It's been the longest wait ever- nothing more frustrating than having astro dollars to spend and not being able to spend it. I decided to hold off on purchasing the book on the pre-order deal- so glad I didn't.

Ian, thank goodness I have your new book (Imaging the Southern Sky) to keep me satisfied in the mean time. I'm loving it and it has become one of my favourite books! I love how each object has got two separate sections on the page- one for observing and the other for imaging, with a very clear easy to see greyed out box with the recommended camera settings. I haven't gotten involved in the imaging side yet, but the observing sections are keeping me very happy.

I had a real "WoW" moment when I read in your book under NGC 3532 (The Wishing Well Cluster- although your book refers to it as the "Black Arrow Cluster"), that Sir John Herschel said, "The most brilliant object of its kind I have ever seen". This has always been my number one most favourite cluster (& one of the first objects I'd observed too), I also suggest it frequently for people to take a look, but I thought it was just me! Wow, I'm amongst greatness in sharing that opinion aren't I?! See.. talk about a real wow moment!

But I've never noticed the arrow until you mentioned it in the book. Ron (AstroRon) said he saw it once but I thought he had a great imagination. If you're reading this Ron: I take it back.
So Ian, learning heaps of stuff from your book already!