View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Greg,

I hear you! If I had this exercise to do over again I probably wouldn't do it. But, I'm pretty stubborn. And, once you start down a path like this it's hard to quit when there is already so much invested in it. Then there is also the factor of trying to succeed at something others say won't work! It's all been done before (except this!) so it's kind of fun (and very masochistic!) to persist.

Anyway, there is no factor of weight with the two scopes on the MEII. Yes, balance is quite tricky but actually very good as I've worked hard to find a method to go about it. I won't say perfect but I think it isn't a significant factor.

The "drift" I observe between the two scopes when guiding through one and observing the other's guide camera is curious. Obviously some component (at times) must be DF, but on the whole I think I'm observing something that some very smart person (with initials P.W. perhaps) could explain. If what I'm observing were purely DF then it would be unreasonable for the drift to pretty much always look the same no matter where I am pointing - even with the telescope on the east side of the mount pointing -2 hr east (in other words upside down!). I think there is a rational explanation. Maybe it's somthing along the lines of our ability to see a stereo image where the separation of our eyes allows us to see depth. In my case I have two scopes that are separated but looking at the same point in space. They cannot be seeing the same thing even though the separation compared to infinity is quite miniscule. But then so is the drift when one comes down to it. .5 pix in 10 minutes. I'm probably wrong about this idea but I think there is a logical explanation.

Peter