View Single Post
Old 21-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Paul Haese

Been into planetary imaging so long it seems like forever to me. I have had so many cameras now I cannot say with any certainty which is better. I will say this though.

Speed (through put) is critical. Computing performance affects this ability, so ensure you have a fast computer.

I am currently using the ASI120MM, used if for the first time the other night. It worked a treat, relatively clean data. Image scale is very large though compared to the Flea3 I had last year. I had to use a powermate 2.5X which reduces the image scale the further away you move the sensor. Bear in mind though that the image will get dimmer too.

Notable cameras I would recommend are the Flea camera's by Point Grey Research, Imaging Source cameras or the ZWO cameras. I would not bother with Lumenera now. I had one of those 4 years ago and the company has not moved onward with sensors.

I found that cameras with pixel sizes of 5um or thereabouts worked best with an SCT. Using a camera with smaller pixels and in particular very small can provide problems for you.

Best of luck with your acquisition.