View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 08:27 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I was thinking about this a while ago, though I was considering different bandpass filters in order to increase the SNR. I think the idea has merit but probably needs some experimentation, or alternatively someone a lot better at math than I am.

One thing to consider (as pointed out to me by Ray) is that if you use three images (say L, R and G) to generate a fourth synthetic image, your synthetic image is going to have noise contribution from all of the other frames. That said, the noise in the other frames should also been reduced because you were able to devote more time to capturing that data.

Which filters you use will also be impacted by the QE curve of your camera and the bandpass of the filters. For example, Astrodon series E have a big gap in between the end of the green filter and the start of the red. The L filter has no such gap. I'd be inclined to capture L, B and G and then generate a synthetic R.

You could use some existing data and try various combinations of equivalent total exposure time and see how they compare.... like spend more time on L at the expense of no R. It'd be worth trying with a variety of target types as well.

One other benefit to this approach would be freeing up a filter slot which you could then use for something interesting like a red continuum or IR pass filter.