View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 08:35 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
Hi all,

Ive reached a point where i think ive read every article there is, some of them twice or three times (slow learner), watched every youtube video to the point where i think im just watching peoples videos about gear.. essentially its a home shopping channel, and im really now just at a point where im ready to just blindly hope for the best.. which is something id rather not do when spending a large sum of hard earned.. so.. this is where im at and if you are willing to listen and offer advice, id be grateful.

I want to take mind melting astro photos.. much like these wizards here and here

Ill get it said that I dont want to do any visual, nor take planetary images, or moon images, or even galaxy images... im all about nebulas, dust & clouds & colour. Ill farewell some of you there im sure.. sorry.

If youre still reading, brilliant, ill continue. So I dont have endless funds but I am willing to pay the price to get the job done once & right if possible.

Im looking at these scopes with a keen eye:
Skywatcher Esprit 100ED 550mm f/5.5 Triplet (optional x0.65 reducer)
Skywatcher Esprit 120ED 840mm f/7 Triplet (optional x0.65 reducer)
William Optics GT102 703mm f/6.9 Triplet (optional x0.8 or x0.72 reducer)
William Optics Zenithstar 103 710mm f/6.9 Doublet (optional x0.8 reducer)
William Optics Zenithstar 126 970mm f/7.7 Doublet (optional x0.8 reducer)

Anything more expensive im certain are amazing, but i cant justify the price of admission there.. Looking at you AP, SV, Takahashi..

I was also recently looking at SCT's (a third time - im seriously on loop ruling things out and then back in again) only because of the huge light gathering power they have, but they dont sound like are without their numerous downsides either. I was looking at f/4 Newtonians briefly but then saw some images and decided that id much rather round stars only, so they are out.

I purchased an EQ6-R with a payload capacity of 20kgs.. probably only usable to about 15kgs max (im guessing, happy to be corrected). Im also thinking i should probably stay somewhere between a 500mm to 1000mm focal length for now based on the things id like to shoot, but ideally 700mm to 1000mm from the telescope simulator i used.. (and that is where im at right now. Simulating a telescope - i have the passion just without the scope).

Ill be autoguiding with a 60mm guidescope and an ASIAir Pro for now. Potential move to Stellarmate, Astroberry, or a miniPC/NUC, but will see how the ASIAir goes first. Shooting with a Fuji XT2 APS-C mirrorless camera, for now, however im sure the obligatory 1600MM with all the filters wont be too far down the road.

So.. that long story cant be shortened, but long story short.. are those 5 scopes decent? Will they help get the images im chasing? Do they have downsides people dont speak of? Some better than others from your experience? Can i even shoot at f/7 (for the longer scopes) or will i have to get a focal reducer bringing it down to f/5.5 anyway. Is a Triplet really that much better than a Doublet? Is there a sweet spot for focal length, and for focal ratio for that matter? Do SCTs really lack contrast due to the secondary mirror getting in the way. Are smaller diameters better to reduce 'muddiness'. Do i need help? (yes )

Strehl, spot size, mirror flop, image shift, 3"+ focusers... this is a great hobby but pretty full-on to get ones head around at times. Especially this one.

S O S
Simple answer is a RASA 8 and a asi294mcpro, you will get heaps of nebulae in spades and tonnes of dust
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc5128_3h14m_cropps1920web.jpg)
216.2 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (m8m20ngc54mg201_ABEps192050.jpg)
204.4 KB49 views