View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Thanks Sil,

I might have a crack with the heatsink & fan only to start with & see how that goes.

The 224MC sensor is particularly good in respect to noise I have to say.. hopeful this may improve even more with some level of heat reduction...

Either way, it's a very inexpensive experiment so, nothing lost if it doesn't achieve much...

Cooled camera.. yeah, maybe one day...

I'm currently only doing short exposure stuff (Alt/Az mount) but, recently purchased a second hand EQ mount... initially to put my solar scope on.. maybe defork the meade at some point or, find a nice inexpensive APO.. LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Yes to the first question, maybe to the second.

I added a heatsink (no fan, just heatsink) to my zwo 120mc and got a measurable 1C reduction in sensor temp.
Later I took apart a cheap garbage usb drink cooler which never cooled my drinks and stuck its peltier heatsink and fan to the zwo instead and was a reliable 13C reduction of sensor temp, cooler nights the outside of the zwo would be thick with white frost but I never had any sign it occured inside.

So technically YES you will get a temperature reduction with simple external heatsink setups. But if this results in a noticable improvement in images I can only assume maybe. Technically any cooling reduces noise, but noticably? Dont know, I only imaged planets or sun/moon so no long exposures where noise is most obvious. It was worth the exercise for me because I was curious but I can't say it resulted in better imaging but it should have a tiny bit and possibly prolonging the sensor life too.

But I can say I did once do a little longer exposure tests for fun and they were fairly noisy. Later I got the 174mc-cooled and that just blew the 120 away for noise and I think its worth every penny paying for the cooled version which give me a steady 32C below ambient and I dont think its worth trying to reach that delta with your own mods. Not a scientific comparison and very different sensors in those cameras but if you're a tinkerer and have a peltier already on hand then go for it.