View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
naskies (Dave)

Dithering - lots of links online, a quick Google search should bring them up. Very easy to do manually - in between each sub, stop auto guiding, move the mount slightly (e.g. a random amount less than 30 pixels in both x and y axes), enable guiding, and start the next sub.

As for noise, check out this bottom-right corner crop of a dark frame taken on my 5DmkII at ISO 800 x 301 sec after continuous back-to-back shooting. Subtracting it from a light frame doesn't leave a lot of image left! Side note - without dithering none of that noise would get canceled out.

You can get H-a clip in filters for modded crop cameras. There's lots of into about narrowband online and on here (search for it), but short answer is that very narrowband filters (<= 5 nm) can be good at cutting out light pollution. Some of the nicer RGB filters for CCDs will also selectively block some types of light pollution.

Peter - do you mind posting some of your raw "milky" subs? I just noticed your shooting parameters and unless your light pollution filter cuts out a HUGE amount of light, it sounds like the subs may be overexposed? Ideally, you want the main peak of the histogram to be around 1/3 to 1/2 on the left side.

Edit: I found these slides about narrowband imaging from one of Don Goldman's talks (i.e. the Don in Astrodon) to be very informative. I'm technically minded, though, so YMMV as they say.

Last edited by naskies; 06-01-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added link about NB info