View Single Post
Old 14-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Flugel88 (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Read your post again.

Ah! You can't take 1 second exposures for flats with a shuttered camera. The flat will pick up part of the shutter.

I found 3 seconds was about the minimum exposure for flats. Although when I did get shutter effects they didn't look like that.

Also you flat box seems way too bright. Those shots would make bad flats as they are badly overexposed. See if you can turn down the light box a lot and try 4 second exposures and keep turning it down until you get about 25,000ADU for a flat with no badly overexposed areas.

Its not the full story but part of it. Too small filters may be another but I would imagine that would mainly cause vignetting. Is the shutter working fine? Have you inspected its operation?

Greg.
Greg makes a good point here Graham i was getting similar looking flats with my Atik 383l when taking short exposure flats turned out to be the shutter and also the prism from my OAG.
I found taking flats of atleast 3sec aiming for around 25,000 ADU solved this fro me.
Also had to raise my OAG prism a little.
My 1.25 filters are to small for my 8300 chip i get very distinct concave dark corners in the very edges of my flats but i don't notice them in your flats.