View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I would stitch together and then process.

But you can batch process for the some standard type processing in Lightroom. Things like a tweak to white balance, some noise reduction, increase saturation a little.

So long as each panel gets the same treatment you should be fine. Then final colour processing at the end.

A lot of the noise may be reduced by the large overlap and also so many panels will mean the noise will go to the background I would think.

Greg.
Planning on doing all the processing in PI, I have done some attempts in Lightroom (on my second last trial day! Love it for general purpose) but ended up preferring PI.

I am hoping with the sheer scale of the mosaic the noise will just end up being swamped visually by everything else around it. Having never really done a mosaic before (my first and only attempt stitched well but was terribly done overall, no real processing) I am hoping that it'll become vanishingly small (visually) and therefore become non-existent hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Colin, with the SGP sequence you created from the wizard, you can change the order that the panels are taken quite easily, so programming the order from North to South will be no problem for you. Like Greg said, I usually stitch then process. After calibration etc. Another thing I do that helps with varying sky conditions is I make sure I take the entire mosaic in one night. Meaning that if it is a 6 panel mosaic, I work out how many subs I can take but still get every panel. The following night I rotate the order so that each panel gets taken at a diferent part of the sky. In this way over several nights each panel gets taken at different altitudes and when you combine them they average out a lot better between panels. That might be hard for your situation because of the amount of panels you are planning, but you may be able to work it in somehow.
I'll have to have a deeper look at the SGP wizard. I have found that when grabbing a 30º FOV using the wizard it is nigh impossible to actually see what I am selecting so I think I may be better off finding the wide field in Astrobin (as I think SGP reads all its data) and selecting it that way.

One of the reasons I won't attempt it until my new mount arrives is that my current one is too slow. Slewing speed isn't important but when it comes to guider settling and what not, will just lose FAR too much time in settling periods for it to be practical.

Taking 200 panels at 120s, being generous with 15s for slewing and mount stabilisation (should theoretically be closer to 5s) plus adding in the 30 seconds or so for several battery changes (will be charging them throughout the night) it comes to about 7.5 hours which is definitely manageable this time of year.