View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I've just put in a 30º FOV around M8 to see if SGP can handle such a large region. It was something that I had considered attempting but didn't think it would be able to handle. It did! It has gathered nearly 50 panels and stitched them together for me
Apparently it would take 172 panels to do 30º around M8. This would be at 2.77"/pixel with 15% overlap and full colour. Thanks for making me test it Rex

Where my main questions stems from is whether I should be doing some basic processing on each individual image and then stitching them OR stitching them and then doing basic processing. Considering that my current plan is just single 120s exposures out of an unmodified DSLR, it is going to be noisy as all getup. Processing is not going to be anything fancy as the data just isn't going to take it.

FYI, doing the aforementioned would end up with a 1.75 gigapixel image
Your welcome Colin. 1.75 gigapixel image, now that's awesome. Colin, with the SGP sequence you created from the wizard, you can change the order that the panels are taken quite easily, so programming the order from North to South will be no problem for you. Like Greg said, I usually stitch then process. After calibration etc. Another thing I do that helps with varying sky conditions is I make sure I take the entire mosaic in one night. Meaning that if it is a 6 panel mosaic, I work out how many subs I can take but still get every panel. The following night I rotate the order so that each panel gets taken at a diferent part of the sky. In this way over several nights each panel gets taken at different altitudes and when you combine them they average out a lot better between panels. That might be hard for your situation because of the amount of panels you are planning, but you may be able to work it in somehow.