View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Greg,

You could get a wireless extender, most of which have an ethernet port on them, which acts as an ethernet connection back to the home router. I have 2 and both of them do this, allowing me to connect the ethernet of my Foxtel IQ1 to the wireless and back to the router and the internet.

If you mount this securely on the outside of the obs and it locks on to the wireless, you should get a secure ethernet link back inside. One of the ones I have, is a DLINK which looks a little larger than an old iphone 4 charger, so it has its 3 pin plug built in.

I connect this to my ip ethernet camera on the garage, simply with an extension cord and an ethernet cable from the extender to the camera. You could try something like this for about $40 and should work if your indoor wireless router is strong enough to be seen with say a laptop when standing outside the obs wall.

I'm using Enterprise class Aruba Access Points in my house, with a wired ethernet Access Point inside, and an access point in the obs, dropping ethernet to the computer I am typing this on, while connecting to inside via meshed wireless LAN.

You can also get some cheap Ubiquity solutions with gain antenna built in, that can make a point to point wireless bridge, with good speed, for a couple of hundred dollars all up.

You should be able to snag a cheap wireless extender in Harvey Norman, JB hifi, Good Guys etc.

Cheers

Chris