View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

I am pretty sure that fli did update their drivers recently, up untill about 4 months ago, they did not have a flidriver for 64bit. And dont think maxim is the cure all for running smoothly, its not. I had a hell of a time about a year ago installing libfli.dl with 32bit vista even with maxim. It was not anything to do with maxim, it was more to do with ascom/windows not registering the driver. Frustratingly fli's answer to how do I get this to work was 'join the fli yahoo group'. I wouldnt have minded so much if they had given me a link on where to look, rather than trawl thorough for hours trying to find what I was looking for.

The new 64 bit driver 'fliusb64' installed on my 64bit vista laptop without any difficulties with the os/ascom. I think they ironed out the bugs with this one. I think the lesson here folks is get a 64 bit system to run your observatories, as most astro companies have now written 64bit drivers that do not seem to have the issues with older 32 bit drivers. I now run my complete observatory with a 64 bit machine, and it took a whole lot less time to setup than the last 32 bit system.

As a side note, I now use ccdsoft rather than maxim, I have not tried to get the focuser to work with ccdsoft. I drive it through focusmax.