View Single Post
Old 13-02-2016, 09:36 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
The Sigma Art series lenses are exceptional... the 35mm in particular. Around 700 to 800 dollars second hand.

Josh

Sigma has a new lens Art 20mm F1.4 which is the fastest 20mm lens in the world.

Its getting some good reviews. But not sure how it goes for nightscapes where you don't want coma in the corners.

Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 for Sony emount seems like one of the best around. I plan on getting one shortly. The Loxia 35 F2 is fine but strong coma in the corners wide open which reduce a lot by F4 and the rest is corrected using the distortion slider in Lightroom. The 21mm is a different design and has less coma.

Zeiss Batis 25mm F2.8 again for Sony Emount is my current favourit elens. Less coma than Loxia 35 and again at F4 is quite good. Colour from this lens is amazing and its extremely sharp.

For Canikon Zeiss 21mm F2.8 is a classic lens. The 15mm F2.8 seems one of the best (see Carlos's images on this site they stand out).

Lenses are like telescopes. There are a lot of OK lenses but to get the really good performers they cost a lot. That's where Samyang stand out. They are cheap for what they are and perform better than they should for the price. But watch out for sample variation.

Samyang also have a 12mm F2 which I think is an APSc lens but gets good reviews for astro. I would check that out as you are using an APS camera right?

Greg.