View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaplacidus View Post
These threads full of dab hands of experience despairing over the ignorance of youth, I shakes me head. We'll all be rooned. Except t'was ever thus, and still here we are. Old people forget that they used to be young, and young people forget that they'll ever be old. Oh, when I think of all the things I didn't know when I started out in all the many realms of life. And astronomy not least of all. Good judgement comes from experience, so they say, but experience comes from bad judgement. Still, I wouldn't want someone to find out about plastic sandwiches by experimenting on my griller. And I do think that people — all too often oldsters more than the young — are too quick to disbelieve the existence of things of which they've never heard (fractional metric whatevers). So who wouldn't, when given a choice, want the world to be a kinder, more ingenuous place? But aren't apprentices still instructed by their prickish supervisors to go down to the hardware for a "long weight"? So here we are, stuck with skepticism triumphing over naivete because older, knowledgeable people have sometimes chosen to be bullies and orangutans. Oh, yes, certainly credentialed employees ought to know a thing or three about testing capacitors on metal benches (not that I would), but if they don't, it's surely the fault of someone older and wiser who for whatever reason scored them a pass that they didn't deserve. Say what you like, I won't ever blame anyone for anything if they've never been properly shown. The obligation of us all, the mission of humanity no less, is to make life better and easier for the generation coming after. War, for that reason, remains the great moral failure of everyone too old to fight. And the end game for humanity is surely the ability to wish for anything, anything at all, and to have it immediately, instantly. When a group of young hunters returned from slaying their first wooly mammoth with stone tipped spears, I'm sure that somewhere in a corner of the cave there was an old guy declaiming, "In my day... None of this stone stuff, you couldn't kill a wooly mammoth in the old days without at least someone ending up dead. You youngsters don't know how good you've got it..." When the bell tolls for humanity it'll be because some old dickless wonder is yanking on the sally.
Similar, dry grass, camel dick......, been to Gagebrook lately?
(translation: "Like hay duuuude"),

Sorry everyone, Tasmanian humour

Momma, if the chiggers found out I said this !

Gawd, I'll have to move to Bridgy

No more wine... No more wine.... No more wine