View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Disbelief - shaking my head

Here's one for the 'how stupid' files. I've been shaking my head about this all day.

It's mid-year break here at uni and it's pretty quiet around the place. So today when I was in the food hall there was only me and the bloke who runs the store. I commented that the bread knife I was attempting to cut my bread roll with was equally sharp on both edges (ie the 'sharp' edge is no better than the back of the knife). He said they couldn't have them any sharper for safety reasons and that he had seen a student hold a bread roll in their hand and cut it with a knife while talking to someone and so slice their hand open. I suppose I wasn't too surprised.

He then went on to tell me they used to have an open griller but had to remove it. Some student wanted a grilled sandwich and so made the sandwich, wrapped it in grease-proof paper, put it in a paper bag, put that in a plastic bag and then put the whole lot in the griller !!! This is someone who has passed exams to say they are smart enough to go to uni! Us tech staff often comment about how brains doesn't always equal common sense (we see it in both students and academics) but I've never heard of such a stunning example before. I'm trying to imagine what he/she was thinking - if they were thinking at all. The only thing I can think of is that every time they have had a grilled sandwich handed to them it has been wrapped in paper and a plastic bag. I just hope it wasn't a science student.