View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:56 AM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Once again, very nice report Doug. I too often revisit objects that I have recently found for consolidation, and like you often at these times you realise the difference seeing can make from one night and another.

I had 10minutes last night with no cloud, and took a quick peak at epsilon Lyrae. Very nice double, very wide. Seeing wasn't very good, and a thin layer of cloud was still covering this area, so wasn't hoping for too much, although I estimate it to be at about 35degrees from horizon for me. I was astounded that even with the thin cloud layer, (or perhaps this helped by cutting down the glare), I could split the doubles with my 5mm (X100). If I gave it a casual glance I could only see two widely seperated stars, but if i looked at the stars individually and concentrated on them and actually looked inside the stars (hope that makes sense), I could quite clearly and easily make out two bright centres inside what first looked like a single star. The prognoses was the same for both. The pairs are actually at 90 degrees to one another, I don't know why this was surprising to me, I guess I just expected that they would be paralell, even though there is no real reason that would suggest that they should be. Once I had resolved them I found that I could actually see all four at once in the EP, was very exciting. Thanks for the inspiration, and you write a great report.