View Single Post
Old 18-02-2017, 08:45 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Auto focus is done using SGP. Hardware is a dodgy kit I built myself, using a hacked up version of someone else's arduino code; their code was buggy as hell, but I'd never written anything for an arduino before so I used it. In retrospect I would have been better off starting from scratch, but eh, it works for the most part.

Not sure why, but the ASCOM driver (not written by me) seems to forget settings sometimes. Key one is focuser speed, which impacts on the backfocus settings in SGP. I lost those so I had to figure it all out again. I'd been putting it off because I just wanted to get some imaging done for once. This time I actually recorded the settings so if (when) it happens again I'll just be able to set it straight back to what it should be.

SGP's auto focus routine is not ideal for narrowband. It often picks up very few stars and some brighter areas of nebula, the latter of which confuses it and causes it to totally stuff up the focus more often than not. Focus with L and then using filter offsets is a lot more reliable.