View Single Post
Old 29-08-2005, 03:55 AM
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy
From the bench tests I have seen there is some difference of opinion on comparative resolution of film versus CCD. One test - for instance - puts a 6 Mpx DSLR at 80% resolution of ISO100 film. Yet another (reputable) test demonstrated 35mm ISO100 film scanned with a Nikon 4000ED actually outresolves a 16 Mpx 1Ds mk2! So your observation is about midway between these and I don't think your being unreasonable with your observations .

It appears one area that digital has surged ahead is in high ISO images - for instance the full size sample ISO1600 images from the 5D is simply amazing. Even with my 'lowly' 300D I am able to image stars down to 16th magnitude with a normal 50mm lens, 1 hour exposure from suburban Brisbane.

Terry
Hi Terry,
I’m not surprised there’s differing opinions out there as far as film goes. Some people writing reports and articles throughout the world choose to exaggerate the results either way to make a point, that’s why I only judge it by my own results and give my opinion from there. Digital comes in to it’s own in astro work that’s for sure - one of the biggest disadvantages of film. I’m still trying to figure out which DSLR is best for me to buy. Until then I’m going to try out some astro photo’s on Fuji Provia 400f for a bit of fun and some practice.

MiG, Judging by your response to my earlier post you’ve misinterpreted and/or misunderstood what I’ve posted. I’m sorry if the way I’ve written it has misled you as it appears to have done, it was certainly not my intention.
I’m really not the slightest bit interested in entering a pathetic argument over film versus digital and misunderstood technicalities with anyone. I’ve learnt what the advantages and disadvantages of each are first hand and have come to my own conclusions for now, which does not require me to discredit or question the usefulness of either type of camera. I merely stated some of my experiences and observations relating to film in response to an earlier post and unfortunately you’ve taken it the wrong way, as shown in your last response.